Thursday, October 25, 2012

DIY Fabric Covered Corkboard Inside A Closet

Today, before I continue painting in our kitchen, I thought I'd show you how I made these cork boards that are in the closet.


I bought 3 rolls of cork at Lowe's.  It is very thin and I recommend buying a thicker cork or double up the cork for this project .


First, take the doors off of the closet and place them on a flat surface.  I used the floor.

Next, you will need to cut the cork so that it is the same size as the doors.  Cutting cork is really easy especially this thin cork.

I used Loctite Power Grab to glue the cork down onto the back of the closet door.


Add some magazines or books to weigh it down as it dries.  I waited about an hour before adding the fabric.


Cut your fabric to be slightly bigger than the cork.  Then, place the fabric on top of the cork.


Fold the raw edges under and secure fabric with an upholstery nail.


Space the nails every inch or half inch (whatever looks good to you).  Continue adding nails all the way around the door.

Put your doors back on and voila!  You now have a cork board to add outfit inspiration or receipts for clothes you might want to take back.  


Because I didn't double up the cork, I am having a hard time finding thumb tacks that are short enough to use with this thin cork.  I may have to be okay with the tack going into the closet door a little.

I love that the bedroom is finished and can't wait until the rest of the house is done.  We decided to hold off on doing the Living Room until the spring.  So that means I will be working on the Kitchen and the Office in the meantime.  Hopefully, those rooms will be done completely before spring.  I am excited and can't wait to show you the rest of our house.